Do you know how long you should wear a bra before washing it? If you don’t, this guide is for you.
Let’s be rational about it. You only wear your bra to work, spend the entire time at your desk next to an air conditioner. Never breaking a sweat! This alone will have you convinced that you don’t have to wash the bra just yet. So, how long should you wear a bra before washing it?
This is not rocket science.
How Long Should You Wear a Bra Before Washing It?
However, as a rule of thumb, a dermatologist suggests washing a bra after wearing it about three times. Even so, few hours of wearing a bra without sweating doesn’t necessarily translate to a whole wear. On the other hand, an hour or even less occasioned with heavy sweating can mean double wear or sometimes triple!
Putting your bras on rotation is equally important as it helps ensure the straps and cups relax. It also allows the bra retain its elasticity and shape.
How to Extend Your Bra Lifespan
Here’s how to extend your bra’s lifespan:
Keeping the bra healthy is typically a balance between getting rid of oils, sweat and skin debris without damaging the fabric. All these foreign elements trapped under the bra can be a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria. Not washing the bra frequently can result in persistent bad odor, stubborn stains, skin irritation and rashes.
However, tossing your bra in the laundry more often also increases strain on the fabric with the straps stretching out and cups losing shape unless you:
- Put the bra in a laundry bag, to prevent it from twisting on other clothes
- Ensure the straps are fastened so they won’t snag or tangle other clothes
- Use the gentle cycle with cool water when machine washing to maintain elasticity and prevent pilling
- Air dry the bra on a flat surface with the cups facing up
- Never put your bras in the dryer! The vibration and heat tend to reduce the bra’s elasticity and also ruin fit
- Store the bras properly. Twisting or rolling – putting the cups inside each other will interfere with the bra’s shape.
Taking proper care of your bras will extend their lifespan. However, not washing the bras frequently enough or too frequently can destroy them or worse, mar the skin.